In yesterday’s post I shared one of four best practices for selecting a cloud backup provider from W. Curtis Preston’s article on SearchDataBackup.com. His second best practice regards the security and management of the cloud data backup service. He recommends organizations to ask many questions about the service’s infrastructure, such as:
- How is all the data stored?
- Is it replicated to multiple destinations?
- How do they protect against disk failures?
- Is there a backup for the backup?
- Who sets the encryption key?
- If they are storing your encryption keys, how are they protected?
- How and when you will be notified about issues or problems?
- Can you set thresholds?
- Can the thresholds be set by specific criteria, such as by client, location, data type, etc.?
- How will you received reports regarding your backups?
- What happens if someone uninstalls the software on a client being backed up?
These are excellent questions for organizations to ask when trying to narrow down cloud backup service providers. In my next post, I will focus on the different types of cloud data backup services.